Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pondering with a Purpose

Hosted by Brenda of Fiction with a Purpose

Each week, Brenda challenges us to "Ponder with a Purpose". Well, Brenda, you know I do that probably too much. (Bill says I think way too much!)
This weeks challenge is: Routine

I am a creature of habit. Like a cat, I thrive on routine. I believe, "there is security in sameness". This has long been a mantra of mine. Perhaps this is a result of moving too much as a child. I was never allowed to develop roots. I went to over nine schools. It was not for the military, however that may be what attracted me to R.O.T.C. in high school: routine.
I excelled in ROTC, becoming the second in command, the highest ranking female. There was security in the sameness. I belonged. I thrived within the secure structure of this routine of knowing what to do, when to do it, how to do it, what to expect, and who I could count on. I also was eager to impart the wisdom and security upon others. In being secure, I could offer it to others. Routine is security; there is security in routine...at least for me.




4 comments:

  1. I think we humans are creatures of habit, by and large. And we all have a degree of sameness, of routine, in our lives, regardless of what we do for a living, where we live, how we live.

    I find that I get bored with my day-to-day routine, but when it's broken I crave it again. So there's no pleasing me at all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I totally agree. I have had some key people in my life who thrive on chaos, drama, and anything but routine. It is unfortunate...for them and others, including me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written post.... again.
    Thanks for pondering along. I too find that I thrive better on routine and have many people around me who seem to dwell in chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear McGuffy Ann,
    True, there is great security in routine and when routine is missing from my life, I find myself at sixes and sevens, getting nothing done. And yet, I also crave change. Strange, but true.

    Thanks for this thought-provoking post.

    Peace,

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your time & thoughts. Please leave your email address, or link it to your profile, so I can respond to you directly. Thank you!